Notes from Dr. Tracey Tokuhama-Espinosa’s article
- MBE stands for Mind, Brain, Education.
- MBE science drew from the dominant “genes” of its parents to produce a better-adapted being
- MBE science is a careful selection of only the best information that can inform the new science of teaching and learning
- MBE science is influenced by History, Philosophy and the Epistemologies of the mother disciplines
- Cognitive neuroscience, was “born” itself about 25 years ago, education for the masses is also a relative latecomer to the global stage, only becoming truly universalized in the late 1890’s and psychology is a contemporary of the goal of universal education, being just slightly older in foundation.
- As well as being a transdisciplinary discipline, MBE science is a cross-cultural entity. The discipline was conceptualized literally around the world at almost the same time in numerous countries. Between 2002 and 2009, countries as varied as Japan, the United States, Canada, Australia, Germany, Holland, the United Kingdom, Italy, and France launched initiatives to promote the discipline
- teachers need to appreciate that some information from psychology and from neuroscience will have different foci, goals, methods, and procedures than those found in education, but they are equally useful to learning how to teach better
- MBE professionals are “willing to share knowledge with those outside their discipline rather than just their peers” in their original disciplines of formation
- MBE scientists recognize the need to “adapt their ‘language’ and context to the audience to make their knowledge comprehensible” to those outside of their original discipline of formation, common vocabulary to enhance interdisciplinary communication
- MBE scientists generally accept, and perhaps are most compelled by, the belief that “connecting information across fields is advantageous for both others and themselves,” and they accept the importance of nurturing their own practice with information from other fields
- MBE scientists can either be trained in academic programs aimed at this balanced view, or they can come from any one of the three parent disciplines and learn the knowledge and skills, as well as adopt the attitudes of MBE science.